Suburban News

First Church of Christ, Scientist, dedicated its edifice, corner Cossitt boulevard and Catherine avenue, last Sunday [May 1]. The building is of red brick with colonial pillars, the interior being finished in ivory and gold. It has a seating capacity of four hundred and fifty. Services were held at 10:45 in the morning and 3:45 in the afternoon. There was a large attendance at both services, many from out of town being present. The dedicatory address, prepared by the board of directors and read by Avery Coonley, First Reader, was in part as follows:—

On Dec. 27, 1896, after holding services six months as a society, the students of Christian Science in this vicinity organized as First Church of Christ, Scientist, of La Grange, Ill. Services were held in Conservatory Hall for four years, when the new Town Hall was leased. Here we remained until our church edifice was completed. On April 2, 1898, the Sunday School presented to this church the sum of ten dollars "to form the nucleus of a building fund." To this amount was added forty dollars from the church treasury. This fund gradually increased, and in May, 1902, the lot was purchased on which this building stands. Building operations began in April, 1907, and the opening service was held Sunday, Jan. 5, 1908. Many contributions to our building fund were received from friends and coworkers in Chicago and elsewhere. To these friends we return our sincere thanks. The entire indebtedness upon the building at the time of the opening has been paid by the members and congregation of this church. The total cost of this property was $32,000.

As we dedicate this edifice today to our Father-Mother God, we are reminded that, while this building stands as a testimonial of gratitude for blessings received through Christian Science, the real temple must ever be the love for God and their fellow-men manifested in the lives of its members. Christian Science brings to light the fact that God is Love—the eternal divine Principle. Thus God is ever present, and we may become acquainted with Him now and be at peace, as the Bible declares. Through this understanding of God, as gained in Christian Science, the activity of infinite Mind is found to be healing all manner of diseases, and lifting the burden of sin from the life of humanity. Through the operation of this Science man is awaking to his liberty as a child of God, and is entering into the joy of living.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

May 28, 1910

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.