With reverence and humble thanks to God, as well as...

With reverence and humble thanks to God, as well as sincere gratitude to Christian Science for revealing to me the light of Love and Truth, I wish to give the following testimony. I left home to make my way through the world at the age of fourteen, without influence or other assistance than the prayers of a good Christian mother. Whether due to overwork or other causes, at the age of twenty-five I was what is commonly termed a dyspeptic. This condition developed nervousness, and through its effects I suffered to a greater or less extent from almost every disease known to the medical profession, including a complete nervous breakdown, which incapacitated me for business. For thirty-five years after that I took drugs almost daily; indeed, I would not venture to leave home without carefully taking inventory of my supply of drugs to make sure that I would have a remedy for any ill.

My son, during his last year at college, developed a serious case of stomach trouble, and because of his ambition to graduate he did not make his condition known to his mother or myself, fearing that I would have him come home for treatment. After graduation he informed us of his condition, which was found to be such that it was not advisable for him to attempt the carrying out of his plans to enage in business at once, and not only was this a great disappointment to me but I also worried over his condition; thus my ailments were aggravated. On his way home from college in company with me we stopped over in New York, where a friend, knowing that I was suffering with severe headaches daily, notwithstanding the fact that I was living on a very strict diet, advised me to consult a doctor who stood very high as a dietitian. I had consulted, and been treated by, the most eminent physicians throughout the country, but was always seeking further advice, so followed the recommendation of my friend. After examination the doctor told me I would have to be extremely careful, give up golf, which was my daily recreation and enjoyment, take very little exercise, and go to some quiet resort for six or eight weeks to take the rest cure. When I left him I was scared almost to death, so on arriving home I consulted my family physician, who assured me that there was nothing in my condition to give me any concern; however, I could not get rid of the fear.

Then my son, in the endeavor to recuperate, went to a ranch in New Mexico, where he remained for a time, and afterward to California and Alaska, but on his return to Chicago, where I met him, he informed me that his condition was no better. Since mine was worse, we decided to consult a stomach specialist in the Johns Hopkins Hospital, so after making an appointment we took the first train to Baltimore. After a thorough examination I was sent home with a further diet list and schedule of drugs, and my son was put in a hospital for a six weeks' course of treatment. I improved somewhat, but continued to worry about him. At the end of the six weeks he seemed to be considerably improved, but in a short time found that he was no better, and as a last resort went back to the ranch in New Mexico in company with an army officer whom he had met on his previous visit. He was not, however, benefited as he anticipated he would be, so his companion persuaded him to try Christian Science. He then took up the study and was treated, with the result that he was entirely cured; in fact, the healing was almost instantaneous. After that he and his companion rode horseback together as much as fifty to seventy-five miles a day, and he ate food that he could not have been induced to eat formerly under any circumstances. He is now in the army, and upon entering was pronounced physically perfect.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
With a deep sense of gratitude for the many blessings...
March 23, 1918

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.