I can scarcely find words to express my love and gratitude...

I can scarcely find words to express my love and gratitude for what God has done for me through Christian Science. In my childhood I was a constant attendan; at Sunday School and church, and when twelve years of age united with the church, but in time of sickness my religion gave me no healing or relief. In the spring of 1903 I was taken with a very severe attack of lung trouble, and I suffered greatly. The doctors did all they could, but the disease assumed a very serious form and I kept getting worse. The doctors were in consultation three different times, and finally said my only chance of relief was to let them operate. This trouble was supposed to be mine by inheritance, and that there was no cure for it. I was in such a condition that I was compelled to sit up day and night, and I became greatly reduced in flesh. I sent word to my brother in Caldwell, Idaho. He and his wife came to see me in September, 1903, and brought the good news that there was hope for me, — that I could get well. I never can forget how cheering it was when my sister-in-law came into my room to tell the news. She found me crying, because the doctors had just told me there was no hope for me, not even in change of climate, as I was in the very last stages of the disease. She said that I could and would get well, and told me of Christian Science. I simply clung to it, although my father and the rest of my people had no faith in it.

I was anxious to go home with my brother and his wife, where I could hear more of the good news, as there were no Scientists near us. The doctors and all thought my brother foolish to take me so far from my home, — which was in Deweese, Neb. They had it all planned, and told my brother what to do if I died on the train, but I came through with no trouble whatever, and even enjoyed the trip. After being at my brother's a few days I went to see a practitioner, although I could not walk a block without help. On reaching the practitioner's home, I began to cough, but I was told not to fear, that God was my strength. I am glad to say that I was healed of that awful fear at the first treatment, and the trouble never has returned. I had only two present treatments, and on going home the next day I felt like a new person. The next Sunday I walked to the Christian Science church, four blocks from home, and back; also helped get dinner, without being tired in the least. I read Science and Health the most of the time, and tried to put its teachings into practice. I could rest in peace at night, and began to gain rapidly in flesh. I also gained in spiritual understanding, and in three months was entirely healed. The practitioner did not see me during the three months, and did not know me when I spoke to her at a Wednesday evening meeting. Two years later I went to my old home on a visit, and one of the doctors who had given me up to die came to see me as soon as he heard of my return, indeed there were thirty of my friends who came to see me the afternoon that I arrived, all saying it seemed as if I had been raised from the dead. They also said I was a picture of perfect health.

I am now married, my husband being a Christian Scientist. We realize the presence of divine Love, the healing power of Truth, in our home, we both grow stronger in learning more of God, and we have had several beautiful demonstrations. Words cannot express my love and gratitude to our dear Leader, Mrs. Eddy, who made known to us the great truth, — that God will heal us when we turn to Him.—Mrs. Bessie McConnel, Ola, Idaho.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
Scarcely a day of my life passes that a song of thanksgiving...
March 28, 1908

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.