My coming into Christian Science led up a rugged path...

My coming into Christian Science led up a rugged path of trials and tribulations, and now from the heights of joy and clear vision I look back over the way and think that my testimony may help some one else to climb and rejoice. Six years ago my little daughter had an attack of typhoid fever, which was followed in less than a year with scarlet fever and a serious throat affection. Every attention from the medical fraternity of our home town was given her, as my father, grandfather, and uncles had all been physicians. She recovered from the contagious disease, but with a verdict from the doctors of organic heart trouble. She could not bend over without having a flow of blood from ears and nose, and the outward manifestation of the heart disease was distressing to witness. My many friends and physicians tried to prepare me to give her up, but I fiercely rebelled and constantly sought new doctors and advice.

One day, when a lady whom I knew to be a Christian Scientist, asked me why I did not try Christian Science, I felt insulted, and changed the subject to avoid hurting her feelings. The seed had been sown, however, and one night I slipped into a testimony meeting, then afterward went often; but fearing to leave my little one very long, I stayed only a short time. I also borrowed a copy of Science and Health and kept it hidden under the mattress of my bed, but I could not keep my thought from the child long enough to understand what I was reading. Nevertheless, I felt that the truth was there, and that I must have it, so I mentioned it to the family, but was met with such a storm of protests and opposition that I shrank from speaking of it again. Finally I decided to take my little girl and go to a city where I could have the truth demonstrated. When my intentions were learned, my friends and relatives thought I had become insane with worry and grief, and extreme measures were taken to keep me from going; but as God was leading me, the opportunity came, and I was soon in Kansas City, Mo.

Before going to a practitioner I took my little girl to a very fine specialist in children's disease, more as a tribute to my father's memory than from any hope that he might help me. His verdict was the same as that of the others,—she might, with the greatest care, life for a year; she might die any day. My own health was so greatly broken that I weighed less than eightly pounds, and the kind doctor wanted to take me to his own home; but I refused, and the next day I took my child to a Christian Science practitioner.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
It is because of my gratitude for what has been done for...
May 30, 1914

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.