In the fall of 1901 I had what materia medica calls a shock

In the fall of 1901 I had what materia medica calls a shock. I was sent to the hospital, where an operation was performed, and after being there about four weeks I was sent home, and was then attended by a doctor well known to my family. At this time I was a mental and physical wreck, and had no desire to live, as I could see no future before me.

I returned to business in February, but my health was very poor, and I had hard work to stay in the office. As I did not appear to gain very fast either mentally or physically, I asked the doctor how my health was to be restored. At that time no medicine was given me, but he advised me to be out of doors all I could and to exercise by walking. I followed his directions for over four years; every holiday and every Sunday, and other days when possible, found me on the highway walking miles and miles each day. It appeared to strengthen me very much, and my relatives and friends thought I was gaining fast.

The brings the time to February, 1906, when another shock came. I had the same doctor and the same treatment,—was in bed three weeks without taking any solid food. Each morning I was given medicine, and had milk to drink. A consultation of physicians was held, and it was decided that I should get up and have something to eat. I realized then how weak I was, and along with it came the thought of what I had passed through for nearly five years; worry and fretting came, and I was indeed a mental and physical wreck once more. The time came when I again asked the doctor how my health was to be restored to me, and he said all he knew was that I should be out of doors all I could, and he recommended the same treatment as before.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
My coming into Christian Science led up a rugged path...
May 30, 1914

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.