During the month of June, 1910, an abscess formed on...

During the month of June, 1910, an abscess formed on the ball of my right eye. I delayed several days before seeing a physician, until the pain became intense, then called on a specialist, who stated that only an operation within twenty-four hours could save the eye, as I had declayed so long; also that I would have to remain away from business thirty days. My wife, however, asked me to try Christian Science, and I said I would try anything, as I was in such terrible pain and must have relief very soon. A practitioner was called and remained with me about an hour. Within five minutes after going to bed I fell asleep, and awoke in the morning free from pain. My wife could hardly believe me when I told her there was no pain whatever. There has been no return of the trouble since, now over six years.

For several years prior to this healing I had not attended any church, and looking upon this blessing merely as a piece of good fortune, I continued the same life as before, without taking any interest in Christian Science. In November, 1913, while visiting in San Diego, Cal., I had an attack of what is called hay-fever, together with asthma. As I had been subject to the latter condition, and my father and an elder brother had been sufferers from it for many years, I was very uneasy, being convinced that doctors knew no cure for it. In my distress I made an appointment with a Christian Science practitioner, and on entering her office that evening told her that while I wanted relief from these ailments, they were in fact the least of my troubles. I had been using whisky excessively for some years, although never being what is commonly called drunk. Again and again I had resolved to break loose from this habit, but every morning found me craving for the stimulant. I told the practitioner how I had sold out my business at a sacrifice, with the hope that when I was removed from certain influences I might be able to overcome or forget the desire, but to no avail, as it haunted me in every waking hour.

I was in the Scientist's office for about an hour, and hope never to forget the feeling which possessed me when I was alone on the street in the cool night air. My head seemed cool, my thoughts more clear and at ease, my footsteps lighter and quicker; I was happier than ever before in my life, and knew beyond peradventure that I was a free man. It gives me more pleasure than I am able to state in words that from that day to this, over three years, I have been entirely free from the desire for liquor. Daily I try to be thankful to God for this healing, and I am grateful to Mrs. Eddy for her devotion to mankind. My gratitude also goes out to many other Christian Scientists for the loving and encouraging thoughts expressed to me since I took up the study of Christian Science.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
With a heart full of gratitude to God I gladly testify to...
July 21, 1917

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.