Among the Churches

Current Notes

GENEVA, SWITZERLAND.—During the year 1916 there were distributed by the literature distribution committee a total of 11,448 pieces of literature: 7380 Monitors, 2473 pamphlets in French, English, German, and Russian, and the rest miscellaneous. The distribution was made among hotels, pensions, banks, tourist agencies, consulates, association des commis, clubs, postmen's clubs, reading rooms, Academy of Sports, university libraries, leading cafés and restaurants; salons of hairdressers, tailors, dressmakers; American Express Company, women's restaurants, governess agencies, students' clubs, registry offices, and Kursaal; interned officers' and soldiers' pensions, Swiss Soldiers' Ambulance Corps, and interned civilians and civilians in outlying lands, camps of prisoners in Germany, Austria, and Turkey. The interest in Christian Science literature is growing, and the Monitor is well read and appreciated. It must be taken into consideration that the literature is not in the language of the land. The lending library is well visited. Since being started two years ago it has received gifts of books from the Trustees under the Will of Mary Baker Eddy, and a new request for more copies of the German edition of Science and Health has been forwarded.

SANTA PAULA, CAL.—The church edifice of the Christian Science Society was dedicated Sunday afternoon [April 15] at three o'clock. The cost of the property was a little over three thousand dollars. The seating capacity is eighty. The first meetings of Christian Scientists in Santa Paula were held at a private residence on North Mill Street from May to July, 1911. From July to September, 1911, meetings were held in the Universalist Church, mostly on Sunday evenings. Then the I. O. O. F. Hall was rented for services. On July 2, 1912, the Christian Science Society was organized with a membership of twenty-two, and on May 21, 1916, the society was reorganized as a corporation under the state laws. The first meeting in the new church was held Sept. 13, 1914.—Santa Paula Chronicle.

NEW ROCHELLE, N. Y.—A permit has been issued for First Church of Christ, Scientist, to excavate on its present site for the new edifice to be erected soon. Plans were filed some time ago for the alteration and enlargment of the building on Locust Avenue. It is proposed to move the present building back, raise it about ten feet, and put a new brick building in front of and under it. The excavation for which the permit is issued is to measure 50 by 143 feet.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

The Lectures
July 21, 1917

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.