Among the Churches

Current Notes

Peoria, Ill. —Work on the new Christian Science church on the West Bluff will begin soon. This was announced last night [March 3] at a meeting of First Church. A gift of $6,485 was also announced. This money was contributed within the week to the building fund of the new church by the members of First Church, and this, with gifts already made, brings the church's contribution up to more than ten thousand dollars. The money will all be in hand in time for the beginning of the work, which will be pushed, as the West Bluff worshipers are anxious to be in their own house of worship. They hold services at present in the auditorium of the Washington school. The plans for the new church, which is to be built on Barker avenue, call for a building to cost thirty-five thousand dollars.—Peoria Journal.

Fargo, N. Dak.—The new edifice of First Church of Christ, Scientist, was formally opened upon the occasion of a lecture delivered by George Shaw Cook on Feb. 18 last. It is on a corner lot, conveniently located near the business section of the city, and with easy street-car accomodations. The seating capacity is four hundred. The cost of the lot was four thousand dollars, and of the building, twenty-four thousand dollars.—Correspondence.

Oakland, Cal.—On March 1, 1911, First, Second, and Fourth Churches of Christ, Scientist, together with the society of Elmhurst, known later as Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist, united in the support of Christian Science free reading-rooms in the Bacon Building. In August of the same year, Third Church joined with the others, while Sixth Church did so in October, 1912, and Seventh Church in October, 1914. These rooms had been occupied as readingrooms by Second Church, and during the latter part of the year 1911 it became evident that larger quarters were needed. On Feb. 29, 1912, the seventh floor of the Perry Building, then known as the Stocker & Holland Building, became the new home. The attendance increased so that now, at the close of the year 1914, six double reading-desks, together with four places at the large table, provide accommodation for sixteen individuals to study the Lesson-Sermon at one time. There have been 3,112 applications received and cards issued for use of books, from July, 1911, to Jan. 1, 1915.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

The Lectures
July 24, 1915

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.