In the fall of 1898 I was at work as car carpenter at...

In the fall of 1898 I was at work as car carpenter at the Baring Cross railroad shops, when I was taken sick. Not then knowing anything about Christian Science, I was treated by a physician of Argenta, Ark.,—our doctor for years. He pronounced the disease a dangerous fever, and at the same time my right lung became involved. The doctor did the best he could for me and we had a great deal of confidence in him. After I got better of the fever, he commenced to treat me for the lung trouble, trying a new method. He also recommended a change of clemate, but after examining me thoroughly he said that the conditions were very serious. He afterwards told my wife that both lungs were affected. I was not able to work any then, but we bought a farm and in the spring I was able to work a little. So it went on for about three years, and then a cousin of my wife wrote from Boston that he had been healed by Christian Science. He wrote, "I did not believe in anything, but a man cannot help trusting in a bridge that carries him safe over." He sent her some Christian Science literature, and my wife and I commenced to read the Sentinel and Journal. The first work by Mrs. Eddy that I read was "Miscellaneous Writings;" then my wife bought a copy of Science and Health and we began reading it. With some friends we began reading the Lesson-Sermons in a schoolhouse; then in the home of a neighbor; afterwards in another schoolhouse, and finally in an unused church; but by this time the opposition had become so strong that we could not get any one to attend, so we read at home.

My health was improving; I grew strong again. In August, 1903, I met the doctor on the street, and he was surprised to see me looking so well. I told him I was never stronger in my life. He said it was a miracle, that he had thought I could not live. I told him I expected to go to work again in the shops. He advised me not to do so, but I did, and although a part of the work was heavy, I felt very little tired when it came night, and would often carry a load of wood home on my shoulder, a distance of two miles. After supper I was not any more tired than in the morning. I worked there over a year, then went to another department for a few months. My work now is sometimes over and about hot steam pipes, but does not affect my health in any way. as the doctor was afraid it would. In March, 1904, I joined the Woodmen of the World, and a doctor in Little Rock examined me thoroughly. After he was through I said, "You find my lungs all right, don't you?" He said, "They are sound."

A short time after we moved from Faulkner County, my wife and I were coming home from church and met my former doctor. He expressed surprise at seeing me looking so well, and my wife told him that we had become Christian Scientists. He threw up both hands and said, "That explains it." To this day when he meets my wife he still tells her it was a miracle. I received no Christian Science treatments whatever for the above trouble, and it was nothing but the understanding of the truth, gained through reading and studying Mrs. Eddy's works, that healed me. For some time I did not acknowledge it, or even realize it, but I can see it now! Doctors do not, nor can they, restore the lost substance of the lungs. I believe they do not even claim to do this, but God can, and to Him be the glory. My wife and I are members of The Mother Church, also of First Church of Christ, Scientist, of Little Rock, Ark.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

May 4, 1907

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.