Items of Interest

Except for the work on the garden wall of the new Publishing House and the laying of the gypsum block foundation for the roof tile on the penthouse of the tower, one must enter the new Publishing House to see the work that is being done. Never again in the history of the Publishing House will the floors be so full of huge heaps of sand, bags of cement, bags of animal hair used in the plaster, big vats containing plaster mixture, piles of terra cotta tile for the partitions, and rolls of wire mesh netting with which to construct the hung ceilings. There are big reels of copper conductor cables, which are being laid as the main conductors or feeders leading from the main electric switchboard to other distribution switchboards throughout the building. From the distribution switchboards run the necessary pairs of wires to each outlet for electric light or electric apparatus.

The plastering is excellent. In some rooms in Section "B" it is completed; in other rooms it is partly done. The periodical Press Room was, when visited, being subjected to a high degree of heat to dry the plaster. When fulfilling its purpose, this room, like others where paper is handled, will have a high degree of humidity—fifty to sixty per cent—to prevent the paper from drying out. To maintain this, all the walls are insulated with a layer of pressed cork about an inch and three quarters in thickness, which is plastered over. The windows are double, having a heating unit between the sashes for use in cold weather to prevent condensation on the windowpanes.

In the Stock Ticker Room is an insulated ceiling, so that the noise from the tickers will to a certain extent be absorbed. Next comes the News Room, which has a hung ceiling that is utilitarian as well as decorative, because above it are heavy beams, pipes, and conduits. The hung ceilings, hiding pipes and conduits, can be considered as metal frames where is stretched the metal lath, a sort of wire mesh to carry the plaster. Some ceilings are three or more feet below the lower face of the floor above.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Change of Address
April 15, 1933

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.