The Christian Science Journal

In the year 1883, our Leader established the Journal of Christian Science, later named The Christian Science Journal, of which she was the proprietor and sole editor until 1893. Mrs. Eddy fully realized the importance of a name, and she displayed her usual wisdom in her choice of one for this periodical. The dictionary defines a "journal" as a "periodical publication, giving an account of passing events; a magazine; a pamphlet published periodically, containing miscellaneous papers and compositions; a record;" and on page 353 of "The First Church of Christ, Scientist, and Miscellany,"Mrs. Eddy tells us that The Christian Science Journal was "designed to put on record the divine Science of Truth."

The Christian Science Journal is the official organ of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts. It is a means of communication to the field, promulgating knowledge of the various activities of The Mother Church to its branches, and such other information as will promote the progress of the Cause of Christian Science. It is a record of the demonstrable knowledge of the Christ, Truth, and presents the standard of right, spiritual thinking. Its beneficent mission is to convey to the world this knowledge of God, supplying crumbs of comfort to all seekers for Truth. It is one of the "prolific sources of spiritual power whose intellectual, moral, and spiritual animus is felt throughout the land" (Miscellaneous Writings, p. 113). It garners jewels of thought from loving hearts who have shared in the sweet influence of the teachings of Christian Science, and conveys to those who may be perplexed and grieved because of some unsolved problem. It comforts those who are bowed in sorrow, offers hope, encouragement, and healing to the sick, and a way of escape to the sinner, as it points the way to the new birth. It brightens the ascending path of tired humanity, opening up fairer views of life and its environment. Its pages furnish food for thought to the sick and the sinful, giving them true nourishment. It is a channel through which flow celestial streams of the living waters of Truth, refreshing the hearts of all who thirst for these life-giving waters. It is a feast of good things, ripe from the harvest of Love, suited to the needs of all who are hungering for the bread of Life. It is a white-winged messenger of divine Love to man, pointing to the harmonies of heaven. It carries the glad tidings of "on earth peace, good will toward men," unto the uttermost parts of the earth. It heralds the gospel of good news in dark and hidden places, scattering flowers of kindness over land and sea. It finds its way into discordant homes and opens their windows to the sunlight of Love. It brightens the pathway of all who share in its reflected rays. This angel of mercy knocks with impartial hand at the cottage door and the palace gate, and offers to all alike the balm of gospel healing, with the sweet assurance that the "kingdom of heaven is at hand."

NEXT IN THIS ISSUE
Article
"A new commandment"
January 13, 1923
Contents

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.

Submit