After having medical treatment for over four years for...

After having medical treatment for over four years for laryngitis and getting no relief, I was informed by my doctor that I had a very severe case of asthma and should get into southern California as soon as possible. My home at that time being in northern Montana, it was necessary for me to sell my personal goods, leave everything else, and go. Arrangements were made accordingly, and in a few days I was on the road with my family. I stopped in Oregon for one month, and while there had a very severe attack. Nothing but an opiate gave me any relief. Then we started for California again, and on the way I was advised to try Christian Science, which I did, but fear got the best of me and I went back to the drug.

At Santa Barbara, where I wanted to stay, it was the same: morphine alone seemed to give me any rest. I was told that I had better go to the Ojai Valley, that if I tried to stay in Santa Barbara the fogs would kill me, but I felt that the doctors did not know it all, so went instead to Santa Paula where I had some acquaintances. As soon as I could bring up the subject I told them that I was going to try Christian Science, and the surprised and relieved look they gave each other was good medicine for me. A practitioner was called at once and treatment was given me that evening and regularly thereafter for five weeks. After the first treatment I took no more morphine, but otherwise apparently got no better. I had no faith in Christian Science and but little hope of a cure. One day a Scientist called on me and tried to make me see things in a different light. The next morning I was well, and to prove it I walked around four city blocks and ran up the stairs. At eight o'clock I started for Los Angeles, a distance of almost seventy miles. We got back from there at ten o'clock that evening. This was on Sunday, the first time I had been out of my room for weeks. Wednesday I went to work in a blacksmith shop, and I did not lose a day for five months.

Some months later I had another severe attack of asthma, lasting ten weeks. This was brought on by neglect and carelessness about studying. Fear had some part in it also, as my work was in the fumes of sulphuric acid and chloride of lime. I had treatment daily but appeared to get no results until the practitioner told me that I would have to learn to help myself some at least. It was very hard for me to get any understanding of how to do this, but I finally found a testimony in the Sentinel that gave me a start and after that I was just three days getting on to my feet again. In less than a week I was back in the shop at work. I have had one attack since then but overcame it without the aid of a practitioner and lost no time from my work. I am stronger than I have been in years. At the time of my first healing I had used tobacco, both smoking and chewing for over thirty years. I drank and swore continually. I thought it next to impossible to quit any of these habits, and did not care particularly to do so. Since the first treatment I have had no desire for tobacco or liquor, and do not swear any more.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
I have had the great privilege of having known no other...
August 23, 1919

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.