Feeling convinced as I do that I owe my life to Christian Science,...

Feeling convinced as I do that I owe my life to Christian Science, I freely give this testimony. About two years ago I began to read "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures" and gained some little knowledge of the truth. On Oct. 11, 1911, when I left Wetaskiwin for my home twenty-two miles south, I had to cross the Indian reserve nearly all the way. I was driving two horses and was in the buggy alone, when after about six miles, I attempted to take the shells out of my gun. In some way the gun was discharged and my arm shot nearly in two between elbow and wrist. I was four and a half miles from Hobema, a siding or station on the reserve, and before getting half the distance I fell from the seat and could not see for several seconds. I then recovered and struggled back on the seat, holding the lines in my teeth in order to take a new hold of them with the right hand. This was repeated several times before I reached the Indian agent's house. When I got there, they helped me all they could by binding my arm above the elbow, and I took the first train, which was due shortly after I arrived there, in search of surgical aid. I could not communicate with a Christian Science practitioner, for there were neither telegraph nor telephone connections at this place; but ten miles farther south I reached Ponoka, where I found a doctor and a surgeon. I told them from the start that I needed their services only as far as surgery was concerned, and I requested them to telephone for me to the Christian Science practitioner at Wetaskiwin, who would have charge of the case.

At this time I was very weak from loss of blood, and the doctors did not think I could survive an operation, so they decided to wait until my sons came. The accident happened at three o'clock in the afternoon, I reached the doctor's office at five, and the operation was performed about half past eight the same evening. After I telephoned the Christian Science practitioner, about six o'clock, I began to gain strength and to lose all fear. I declared I was all right and ready for the operation, which was over about seven hours after the accident. Thank God, I had little pain either before of after the operation, and the next morning, with my son's help, I walked from the doctor's office to the hotel across the street. After four days I was removed by train to Wetaskiwin, where my sons, also the Christian Science practitioner, lived. There I engaged another doctor, simply to dress my arm. After the first week this doctor told me that unless I had different treatment I would lose my life from blood-poisoning, or, at best, I would be obliged to have the arm amputated and take a course of medicine, as otherwise the condition would undermine the strongest constitution. I made no reply at the time, as my family were nearly frantic with fear, but consulted with the Christian Science practitioner, who assured me differently. The next time the doctor came to dress my arm, I told him that if he would simply dress it, well and good, otherwise I would have to employ some other physician. He answered by setting another date to dress the arm, and for over two weeks after this he continued to care for it. During this time and until fully healed, notwithstanding what the doctor had foretold, my arm continued to improve very fast for one of my age (I was in my seventy-second year), and in about three months it was fully restored and I was quite as fleshy as before the accident.

Except for the little knowledge I had of Christian Science I never would have reached the agent's house where I first had my arm bound, after bleeding nearly an hour. Through the help I received after I telephoned the Christian Science practitioner, I suffered little pain, and all fear was removed. All who saw me, wondered how I could stand it without a murmur; they little knew how I was getting my help, though my own family knew the source.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
Eight years ago Christian Science found me in what...
June 14, 1913

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.