I should be very happy if the story of my healing by...

I should be very happy if the story of my healing by Christian Science treatment were to serve the purpose of helping some one else out of trouble as I was helped in my hour of great need; for my case certainly was man's extremity which is always God's opportunity.

I am a German, a farmer, eighty-seven years old, residing at Williston, and had the misfortune in the early autumn of 1897 to have the large toe on my left foot crushed. Our family physician was called in and attended me in the regular way for several weeks; but the injured member grew much worse. The foot, including the lower leg, becoming affected, a second physician was called in, and the two upon consulting decided to advise with a third as to whether it were best to operate surgically. By this time my entire leg was diseased. It was greatly swollen and badly discolored, the injured part having become very offensive, and my general health very much run down. I had no appetite, could not sleep, and suffered intensely all the time. The doctors were perplexed and divided in their opinion as to whether they should amputate the toe, the foot, or the lower half of my leg. It was finally decided that I was too weak to have a surgical operation, and I was put under a certain treatment for a week to prepare me for the ordeal. At the end of that time the several doctors came to our house ready and intending to operate; but finally decided that I could not live more than a week anyhow, and therefore they would not do so.

At this point one of my daughters, who believed in Christian Science, came to my rescue. Upon talking the matter over with her I decided to dismiss the doctors and leave off all their medicines and applications. We sent a telegram to a Christian Scientist in Buffalo, who began to give me absent treatment. Letters followed, and although I did not seem to improve quickly under the treatment, I did live through the week in which they said I must die, and then my family took fresh courage. Before very long a general improvement in my health was noticed, I had an appetite, could rest at night, and I did not have so much pain. After some weeks the discoloration of the leg began to disappear, then the swelling went down, and at the same time the first signs of healing began to show themselves in the injured toe. My treatment lasted through the winter, and in the spring my leg had assumed its usual size, shape, and color. That portion of the toe which had not already decayed when Science took hold of the case healed up and became entirely sound, and from that time to this I have had no difficulty whatever from that injury.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
As a mother of a family my heart goes out in love and...
May 28, 1904

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.