It is with a heart full of thanksgiving to God and gratitude...

It is with a heart full of thanksgiving to God and gratitude to our dear Leader, Mrs. Eddy, that I give my testimony, in the hope that some one may be benefited by it. All my life I had attended a church, but at the time that I first became interested in Christian Science I did not attend any; in fact I had become so hardened that I did not even believe in God and I ridiculed religion. But my extremity was God's opportunity, for one Sunday I was suddenly taken very ill. Our family physician (a grand, good man) was called and he said it was a severe case of gall-stone colic. This was in July. I continued to have the attacks and they came nearer together, each one being more severe than the former. They left me weak and discouraged, after having done all the doctor could advise and trying everything that was recommended. The doctors then decided that I would have to be operated upon, as at the last attack the opiate given had no effect and then chloroform was used. The next day I was told that I would have to go to the hospital in three or four days.

Previous to this a very dear friend wanted me to try Christian Science, but I refused, as I had no faith in anything pertaining to God and did not want to have any, but at the time of the last attack the friend again talked to me and said I surely need not be afraid of Science, for its medicine is love and truth and God is the "great Physician." She said it would be better to try Christian Science than to go through an operation, not knowing whether I would live through it or not, so I asked my husband if he cared whether I tried Christian Science. He was as bitter toward it as I, but he said I should try anything if only it would help me.

The next morning I went to the Christian Science reading-rooms and asked for help. I was so weak when I got there that I became faint, but I will never forget the lady who came to me with outstretched arms and a look of love and welcome on her face. I explained all to her and asked for help, and she told me that all things were possible with God, that He was a God of love and that I was His child. I told her I was afraid to eat, as all food caused me such pain, and I could not sleep lying down. She gave me a treatment and told me to go home and eat whatever I liked without fear. I did so, and at supper time I ate so heartily that my husband warned me of the consequence. I then became sleepy, excused myself, went to bed and slept all night. I even forgot to sit up to sleep, but lay down and slept. My husband did not take off his clothes, for fear I would be much worse and he would have to go for help. I went to the practitioner's home the next day and took another treatment, and asked her when I should come again. She said, "You won't have to come again; you are healed."

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
One afternoon during a recent epidemic of eye trouble in...
August 3, 1912

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.