First Church of Christ, Scientist, Westmount, P.Q., organized April 13, 1908, held its opening services on Easter Sunday, April 19, in Room F, Victoria Hall. This room, which will also be used as a Reading Room, has a separate entrance and is pleasantly situated away from the street. This is a residential city of over ten thousand people. "If God be for us, who can be against us?" —Correspondence.

In no city of the United States, perhaps, has Christian Science had a more rapid growth than in St. Louis. It is almost impossible to estimate how many persons in this city are interested in the work, but it has been said that ten thousand would not be too great a figure. Christian Science took definite form in St. Louis in 1894, and since then continued to grow steadily. Congregations of Christian Science churches in St. Louis number among their members many of the representative business and professional men of the municipality. The first organization in connection with the Christian Science movement here was the formation of First Church of Christ, Scientist, in March, 1894, with fifty members. The first edifice was erected in the summer of 1895, and the congregation filled it within a year after it was opened. In October, 1902, this edifice became so crowded that the congregation of First Church moved to the large auditorium of the Odeon.

In the mean time Second Church had been formed, in February, 1902, and is now meeting in the chapel at 624 North Spring Avenue. Second Church has a membership of one hundred and twenty-five, and a congregation of double that number. The members have purchased a lot at the corner of Washington Boulevard and Washington Way, and plans are now being drawn for a structure to cost approximately fifty thousand dollars, and to seat about eight hundred. Building operations are expected to begin in about ninety days. In September, 1903, ground was broken for the present edifice of First Church of Christ, Scientist, Kingshighway and Westminster Place, and this edifice was occupied in the summer of 1904. It will seat about twelve hundred. By the spring of 1906 the seating capacity was so overtaxed that the members living in the southern part of the city withdrew and formed Third Church, which now has a membership of about one hundred and twenty, with a congregation of double that number. It has recently purchased a lot on Russell Avenue, immediately east of Grand, facing Reservoir Park. Third Church is now holding its services in the Jewish Temple, southeast corner of Spring and Flad Avenues.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

May 30, 1908

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.