The first of June, 1905, an eruption of some kind broke...

The first of June, 1905, an eruption of some kind broke out on my body, and then there was a severe bladder trouble. At that time my husband, although not antagonistic to Christian Science, had not studied it. I had a copy of the text-book, and felt that it contained the truth, as we had all been helped many times, but this was the first time that anything of a serious nature had presented itself.; and in our fear we resorted to material means, but with no result. The nearest Christian Science practitioner was six miles away, and as I grew worse rapidly, it seemed best, on account of relatives who were opposed to Christian Science, to call in a physician. When he came he remarked upon the conditions, called my sister-in-law out, and told her I was a very sick woman. He also said that he had two other cases similar to mine in the hospital, and that he had little or no hope for their recovery. We followed his instructions until the next evening, by which time I was in a most serious condition.

That night my husband and sister-in-law told the doctor that unless he could give them some hope, they wanted to have Christian Science treatment, as that was my last conscious request. He said that I ought to have it, and added, "I don't think it will do her any good, but it can't hurt her." This was on Monday night. On Tuesday afternoon the practitioner came out, and in twenty-three hours from the time all material remedies were given up and all reliance placed upon God, relief came. For ten days I seemed to hover between life and death. The practitioner stayed with us for two weeks, and for a few days, when things seemed darkest, another practitioner came out and aided her. All this has since been told me by my husband and sister-in-law, who were with me every moment, as I knew nothing that was going on at the time.

The improvement seemed very slow at first, but one thing after another was overcome by the power of Truth and through the patient, loving work of the practitioner, until at the end of two weeks she went home and continued the treatment absently. From the time Christian Science treatment began, I could retain food. When I began to sit up I was as one in a dream,—could not hear, see, think, or remember clearly. We went to town and I remained some time. In a week after going, I walked seven blocks. My improvement from this time was gradual, but sure. I continued to improve until my healing was complete.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
After being treated for several years by a number of doctors...
September 29, 1906

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.