About three years ago I was taken sick with what the...

About three years ago I was taken sick with what the doctors called typhoid fever, and from that time on I became a constant sufferer from different diseases,—chronic indigestion, cystitis, liver trouble, kidney trouble, varicocele, etc. I tried different doctors, specialists, and many remedies, but could get only temporary relief, until finally, in one of my bad attacks, it was thought I would never be able to get up again. One doctor had already advised me that nothing but a change of climate would help me. I had two doctors and both said they had done all for me that could be done.

I had suffered so much that I thought death would be a great relief to me. They advised me to be moved to Arizona, and when I asked if they thought I was strong enough to stand the trip, they could not assure me, but said it was my only chance, so I decided to try it. One of the doctors came with me to take care of me, and when we got to Tucson I was able to walk about a little. The doctor left in a few days and my wife came to wait on me. We moved out in a tent and I improved for a little while, but began to grow worse again, when the doctor advised me that I must have some operations performed. I came to Los Angeles and had five operations, but that did me no good, and finally my wife and I concluded that she could take care of me better than they were doing. My doctor then turned me over to a specialist on chronic diseases. I had been told that I had consumption of the bowels and Bright's disease, with my other troubles, so I thought I was doomed to die, but my cousin persuaded me to try Christian Science. I had not much faith in it, but I had tried nearly everything else, and had been given up by three doctors, so I thought I would try it as I was suffering so much. The Christian Science practitioner came and treated me, and from that first treatment I felt different and the fear began to leave me. The next day I got up and went with my wife and cousin to the practitioner's office; the next day I walked four blocks, and the following day I walked about two miles. In two weeks I went to work in a grocery, doing the heavy work, such as lifting heavy packages, etc. I was completely changed. I hardly knew how to act. I had put away my stomach pump, atomizer, etc., in fact all my medicines, and I gained ten ponds a week until I weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds. I could get up at five o'clock in the morning and work hard until eight at night. I was like a different person and I certainly feel grateful to Christian Science.—W. O. Lusk, Los Angeles, Cal.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
Soon after I commenced the study of Science and Health...
March 24, 1906

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.