In October, 1913, while I was suffering with heart trouble,...

In October, 1913, while I was suffering with heart trouble, sciatic rheumatism, lumbago, and intestinal indigestion, the various medical doctors attending me said they could do no more for me, and that I would probably not live throughout the night. That very night the "still small voice" of God whispered to me to try Christian Science. I was so weak I could not turn my head on the pillow without immediately experiencing a sinking spell. A sister called upon a practitioner for help at seven o'clock in the morning; at nine I knew I had been healed; and when the practitioner came to our home in the afternoon she explained the truth so beautifully and clearly that I knew I need never again be sick if I were obedient. In two days I was up and around, and two weeks later returned to work at the office. I have never had any return of this trouble, and many other discordant conditions have been healed since then, such as the use of glasses for close work; a sty on the eyelid which had returned time and time again since childhood; three abscesses where the bone seemed to have softened and left cavities around the teeth. X-rays taken two years later, and again six years afterwards, showed that the bone had filled in nicely and had hardened. The surgeon, comparing the different X-ray pictures, said such a condition was possible, but very rare.

After the birth of our two children I did not seem to regain my strength. This lasted almost two years after the birth of the younger child. I had some treatment for this, and knew that Christian Science could and would help me; but seemingly I grew worse from day to day. Then one day I read on page 395 of "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures" by Mary Baker Eddy, "It is mental quackery to make disease a reality—to hold it as something seen and felt—and then to attempt its cure through Mind." I knew then that I had been waiting for Christian Science to heal something when there was nothing in reality to be healed. From that moment on I regained my physical strength rapidly. Since then I have been able to know the truth and demonstrate it many times for my children as well as for myself, while formerly I always relied upon a practitioner. The children have had many beautiful, and in nearly every case almost instantaneous, healings.

When my boy was about two years old, after having his bath one day, while running around the room in a playful manner, he backed up against a red-hot stove, receiving a burn about the size of the palm of my hand. I was alone with him and worked in Science as well as I knew how, and in a moment or two he stopped crying and did not seem to think about it any more. When the rest of the family saw it later they marveled that it did not seem to cause him pain, but they were all so firm in their belief that the scar would surely remain with him that this caused me to call up a practitioner a day or two later. In about two weeks there was no trace of the burn.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
It is now over fifteen years since I took up the study of...
June 23, 1928

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.