Among the Churches

Current Notes

Akron, Ohio,—Since its beginning, First Church of Christ, Scientist, of Akron, has had its career marked by a large number of changes of location. The church record at frequetn intervals indicates "another move made necessary in order to secure larger quarters," or a corresponding phrase. When the society was organized in 1895 it had rooms in the Doyle Block downtown. The next year the society moved to the Arcade Building, a reading room being established at the same place. In 1900 it was necessary to find more room, so services were held on the ground floor of the Universalist church. The services were conducted there for some years, with one break, when the society transferred its headquarters to the Hebrew temple. Still later another move was made to the Walsh Block, and in 1912 rooms in the Second National Building were taken. About that time the lot where the church now stands at the corner of Fir Street and Buchtel Avenue was purchased. In the early part of 1915 the work on the new Church was started and ground was broken in March. The new structure, which has an unusual, simple beauty, was made on the Greek style. In 1919 it was finished and on Thanksgiving Day dedicated. On Thanksgiving Day of the year just past a new three-manual organ was installed. Often the building, which has a seating capacity of five hundred, is full or nearly so for regular services. When the lectures are given every seat is taken and many are standing. Church officers state that conditions are fast becoming so crowded that soon it will be necessary to provide for an extension of quarters in some way. The reading room, with library office adjoining, in the Metropolitan Building on South Main Street is a pleasant quiet room with desks arranged apart from the central table.

NEXT IN THIS ISSUE
Article
Notices
April 29, 1922
Contents

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.

Submit