Three years ago, we knew nothing of the truth of Christian Science

Three years ago, we knew nothing of the truth of Christian Science. My wife had for nearly ten years lived on a specific diet, because of a diagnosis of diabetes by physicians. In January, 1919, she suffered from an attack of rheumatism. It was persistent, and of an aggravated form. The only relief was obtained through hypodermics of morphine. All other material methods failed. Much of her time was passed in bed. This continued until July. One morning she said, "Do you care if I try Christian Science?" "Try anything which offers relief," I told her. Through the kindness of a friend, a Christian Science practitioner was secured; and that night, for the first time in about three months, my wife had a complete night's rest, not waking once after going to bed until the following morning. The practitioner told her to stop dieting and eat whatever she desired. She did so, and her progress toward health was constant. Now she is free of diabetes and rheumatism; and last year, for the first time in many years, she was able to tramp about, go berrying, and do all those things she had so greatly enjoyed before the doctors diagnosed her case. She is now perfectly well.

From time to time after my wife began the study of Christian Science. I took up Mrs. Eddy's wonderful book, "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures," and read from it. This was more from curiosity than aught else. The reading became more regular, with the result that one day the desire to smoke left me; and from an inveterate user of cigarettes I became a non-smoker. The habit of profanity was also lost through this reading.

It was in the following January, some months after these two healings and after I had actually begun the study of Christian Science, that one day, as I was about my duties at the office, it came to me that I had not put on my truss that morning, although I had worn one since 1911. From that day to this the truss has not been used, although I have climbed mountains, taken long hikes, done more or less lifting, and worked regularly each season in my garden. Once only has there seemed to be a recurrence of the rupture. That was a few weeks after the truss was cast aside, when I was in a distant city. Reaching my wife by long distance telephone, I had her ask a practitioner to work for me; and in less than a quarter of an hour the trouble was gone, and has not returned. This was the first instance in which I had asked the help of a practitioner, having previously done all the work myself.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
About eight years ago I attended a Wednesday evening...
December 9, 1922

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.