[Translated from the German.]

Gratitude and love for Christian Science impel me to tell...

Gratitude and love for Christian Science impel me to tell of the blessings it has brought me. About a year and a half ago my dear wife, who had been slowly pining away, passed on. Six months previous to this I had manifested the first symptoms of a serious disease, and was greatly weighed down mentally. I had pain in the chest and difficulty in breathing, and according to the physician's diagnosis I was suffering from asthma, but despite medical treatment my condition became aggravated. A specialist tried to remove the trouble, but the difficulty in breathing kept returning, while the sharp pain in the chest increased in severity. After I reached the stage when it became almost impossible for me to stand and breathe, another physician diagnosed the case, and some relief was afforded from time to time through aspirating the pleural cavity. I lay in this condition for three months, after which the breathing improved, but I could stand no physical exertion of any kind. The prospect of recovery had already been put off for years by the physician, and at this juncture swelling of the glands of the throat set in. I was operated upon several times, but conditions did not improve. After my return home from the hospital I was bedridden once more and suffered terribly, and as a result of the drugging a skin disease manifested itself and after a short time one of the toes had to be amputated. The physician then advised me to go to a sanitarium as soon as possible, and I entered the institution on July 12. The professor informed me that my condition was a very serious one, the lungs, blood, and bones being affected.

This verdict brought all hope of recovery to the vanishing point, but "man's extremity is God's opportunity." The next thing which occurred was this, I was sent some Christian Science literature, among which was also a volume of Der Herold der Christian Science. This reading now became my spiritual food. My hope was renewed, and the healing soon began, to the astonishment of the physicians. The wound of the foot healed in a short time, the difficulty in breathing steadily decreased, and the glandular fistulæ dried up. I longed to have help from a Christian Science practitioner, and on August 8 had my first treatment—I was in God's care. After a general examination the physician told me that the lungs were clear and that my chances of recovery were most favorable. The first of September I left the sanitarium and went to Hanover in order to meet my practitioner. During this time I attended the Christian Science services and Wednesday evening meetings, and every morning met the practitioner, through whom I gained a better understanding of the divine Principle of Christian Science. These were the most beautiful hours of my life. Never did I assimilate so much truth as I did during that period. In operating on the gland of the throat a nerve had been cut which caused paralysis of the lower lip so that my mouth was distorted, but after a while the normal condition was established, and the whole body responded to the salutary influence. Years ago I sustained a severe injury of the shoulder through a fall from a considerable height, and since that time had been able to use the arm but little. I now began to experience pain in the shoulder, and when a few days later I tried to move the arm the difficulty was entirely gone, and the arm was supple as it had been before the fall.

I am unable to express in words how much I have to be grateful for, but I might best describe my frame of mind with the following words: boundless joy and happiness fill me for having been taught to draw from the inexhaustible depths of divine Truth.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
It is with pleasure I tell of my healing through the reading...
August 10, 1912

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.