Previous to June, 1912, my wife was afflicted with that...

Previous to June, 1912, my wife was afflicted with that disease known to materia medica as tuberculosis, also with rheumatism in her limbs. She was in that condition for several years, and during all that time was under the care of the best medical physicians and specialists we could secure; but she never improved one iota. Throughout her illness I had at intervals serious stomach trouble. In October, 1912, we were told by the specialist treating my wife, that she could not regain her health without a change of climate, and he strongly advised us to go to Asheville, N. C. We therefore immediately closed up our house and went to that city, where we remained for seven months under the treatment of a specialist. As there had been no improvement during that period, however, we decided to go home for the summer, and were about ready to depart when my wife was taken with appendicitis. She was operated on, and twice after the operation was in a dying condition.

We finally removed to our home, where my wife was confined to her bed for about three weeks, and even after that she was scarcely able to get around the house. I was taken with serious Stomach trouble, as before stated, and we called our family physician, who treated me for four months, during which time I was confined to my bed. He could not relieve me except by administering a hypodermic, and this he did several times a day. Then, as he had exerted his medical skill to no avail, he advised a consultation with one of the best physicians along that line. This was agreed to, and after looking me over carefully, they told my wife that nothing more could be done for me, as I had a very serious case of gall-stone, but asked if she would consent to take the chances of an operation in spite of the fact that at my age and in my condition I was a very undesirable subject for one. My wife said she would not consent to an operation yet; and the next day, although we knew absolutely nothing about Christian Science, she asked me how I would like to try it. I replied that I was willing to try anything.

In a few days I revived somewhat, and when my wife inquired if I would go to the Christian Science meeting that night, I said I would. Several neighbors who knew that she was going to try to take me to the meeting, told her that she could never get me there and back; nevertheless we decided to go, and did. When I walked into that church, and looking around saw a crowd of about twelve hundred people, and later listened to the testimonies, the thought struck me that some of those people might be wrong, but surely some of them were right. After the conclusion of the services, I remarked to my wife that I felt better, but thought it was temporary. The next day she asked me how I would like to try a Christian Science practitioner, and as I said I was willing, an appointment was made for that afternoon, and I was given a treatment. I told the practitioner that I had not had a night's sleep in four months, but she said I would sleep that night, and I did. I got up in the morning and went down-stairs to breakfast, at which I ate what my wife had prepared, and ever since have done the same. In one week's treatment I was practically healed, and the practitioner said I did not need to be treated any more; but my fear had not been destroyed, so I continued two weeks longer. I have been in perfect health ever since and have got back to my normal weight.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
I feel that the time has come to express my gratitude for...
June 12, 1915

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.