I first heard of Christian Science in 1887, but only in...

I first heard of Christian Science in 1887, but only in terms of ridicule from those whom I supposed had thoroughly investigated it and so should be in a position to know much better than I whether it was beneficial or pernicious in its results. Not until 1895, after suffering through the intervening years from several severe troubles, with complications, did I at last find a staunch and true Christian Scientist. I had been sickly from childhood, and from my earliest recollection I was always wondering why Jesus healed diseases only during so limited a time, while we of to-day seemed to need help fully as much. I became a teacher, and wherever I happened to be teaching was always an active worker in some church. I had long desired to be a Christian, but was never able to become one after the accepted modes of orthodox churches. I was always looking for speical help in that direction from the many sermons to which I listened, and always was disappointed; until I finally became disheartened and remained away from church altogether.

In 1895, after a particularly trying year in school, mentally and physically, I went for my summer vacation to my sister's home in Harbor Springs, Mich., for a much-needed rest; but instead of resting I became more and more worn out, and on the day set for taking the steamer for Chicago to return to work, I found myself ill with what the physicians pronounced a fever which seemed to be epidemic. My patience with medicine was at an ends, as I had been taking it all my life and had still continued ill, so to the consternation of my mother, brothers, and sisters, I positively refused to call a physician or to take medicine of any kind. When the fever had run for ten days without abating, and I was not able to sleep night or day, an aunt who was visiting us, a student of Christian Science under Mrs. Eddy, and who had tried to interest us in this teaching, came into my room and asked if I would like to have her treat me. I did not believe in it, but not wishing to be ungracious, I gave her permission. During the treatment I fell asleep, and when I awoke the fever was gone and did not return. I did not seem to be able at the time to appreciate this wonderful fact, but thought that if I could now only find some medicine to strengthen me quickly I would be able to get back to school in time to retain my position, so I sent for a tonic and took it, not asking my aunt for further treatment. Needless to say I did not go back to school, but remained weak and able only to sit about the house for six months or more. My brother-in-law was attacked with the same fever, and the best physicians there were not able to break it inside of six weeks.

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.