I was born on a cattle ranch in Colorado

I was born on a cattle ranch in Colorado. In 1884 my father was compelled to dispose of his holdings because of illness of the entire family. We moved to Denver, but were unable to secure help either from the change of altitude or from medicine. The physicians informed my mother that neither my sister nor I would live long. My mother herself was miserable. Then she decided to try Christian Science, and we were all healed and came back to the mountains. I did not study Christian Science, but lived in the faith that God was my creator and protector.

In 1900, while on a cattle round-up, I was accidentally shot, the bullet entering my back, going through the left shoulder, and coming out through my arm. I rode my horse ten miles and telegraphed to my mother for help. A doctor hastily dressed the wound, and I boarded the train for Colorado Springs. I arrived there in the morning, and called a surgeon to dress the wound. He said, "By all laws of medicine you should be suffering intense pain, but I see you are not. I will call again in twelve hours and can then determine whether or not you have blood poisoning." When he returned, he removed the bandage, and all the corruption passed out. He was very much astonished, and said he had never known a case like it. During this time, I had absolutely no medicine, and was not in bed. In a week I was out on the street.

Three years ago, when I was working as a guard at the Colorado State Reformatory, my wife received a message that I was seriously injured, and would probably be dead before she arrived. Not being a Scientist herself, but knowing my absolute faith in it, she at once called a practitioner. I was rushed to the hospital by the institution and examined by one of the leading surgeons of the West. His verdict was that it was a basal fracture of the skull and that it was a miracle that I had lived to get to the hospital. He gave my wife no hope whatever. My sight was completely gone, and he said that if I lived I would be blind, and perhaps paralyzed and insane. At the end of a few days there was much improvement. Every time the eye specialist made an examination, he could not believe the miraculous return of sight, and could in no way account for it; he told me to thank God every day of my life. I was entirely healed.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
It is now about four years since I took up the study of...
August 31, 1929

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.