Ever since I can remember my mother had been a victim...

Ever since I can remember my mother had been a victim to sea-sickness and car-sickness. Many occasions brought about the same result; she would turn sick looking at moving water when standing on a wharf, or when riding backwards in a sleigh. She would not ride in street cars or elevators. She suffered mortal agonies when traveling on land or sea. After we had been studying Christian Science about four years and had been able to overcome a great many claims, we wished to make a journey east. Our first stopping place was to be Iowa. Our tickets were purchased and baggage checked for that point. We reached Seattle and changed from boat to car. All seemed to be going well until about two hours out from Seattle, on the train, when my mother began to feel ill. She reached the point where she could do nothing for herself, and I could do nothing for her, it seemed. I was up all night with her as she grew worse and worse; she suffered more this time than I had ever seen her before. That night was a long one to us both. About morning she said she could not endure the suffering, she would have to get off the train. I immediately hunted up the conductor, who was most kind. He said he would put us off at Spokane and also our baggage.

As soon as we were safely settled on solid ground mother felt easier and grew better all day. We concluded that as soon as she felt able to take the journey back to our home, Port Townsend, we would return, giving up our trip forever.

We did not wish to go through another experience of the kind, and in the afternoon sought a healer. The following morning mother awoke saying to me, "We will not return, but go on, it would be giving up to error to go back now." In four days we resumed our journey, under treatment. That was not the end, however; it was a fight to a finish. About ten hours after leaving Spokane mother was as bad as ever; she grew worse and worse, alarmingly so. At Havre, Montana, I left the train as it made a stop of twenty minutes, to telegraph back to the healer that "Mother is very ill. Please treat at once." To the surprise of every one in the car, and almost to ourselves, the healing was instantaneous. In less than an hour after the message was sent mother sat up, laughed and talked, and was ready for something to eat. The fellow-passengers came to inquire what remedy she had used, as one man said he had never seen any one recover so suddenly.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

March 27, 1902

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.