Four and a half years ago I had an attack of illness...

Four and a half years ago I had an attack of illness which resulted in incapacitating me for business or pleasure. I am in the employ at Portland of one of the large transportation companies, whose interest in me was so kind and loving that I was enabled to receive the best of care. I put myself under the direction of a good physician, who gave me a tonic and recommended a change of climate. I went to the coast for several months, but returned very little better. My employer interested himself in my behalf, and went with me to two physicians to talk over my case, and said that everything that might hasten my return to employment should be done, but no assurance was given us that I might soon regain health. I continued always hopeful, however, and felt that I needed but a few months to put me on my feet again. Not improving, I had osteopathic treatment, which did not benefit me. I then tried the water cure and massage, with like result; I also practised physical culture exercises. I would add, too, that at the outset of my illness I had some experience in a sanitarium with electrical appliances, baths, etc., which convinced me of their inability to reach my own case. If what is known as ordinary faith would have cured me, any one of the above methods would have done so, for when I took up anything new I thought I had found the ideal curative agency. Then I went to the mountains for several months, but was no better at the end of that time. Thus for two years I battled for health, but without effect. It being our damp winter months, I then went to the sea-coast southern California, feeling that the change would help me, but soon after my arrival I had another attack of illness, which discouraged me somewhat, for my kind physicians had nothing in their profession to meet my need and were honest enough to tell me so.

I had been advised by friends to try Christian Science, but was cautious for fear there was something about it that was not good for me. A day or two before this last attack I had visited for the first time a Christian Science Reading Room, and was there told that if I found no help in materia medica that there was yet hope through Christian Science; but I still held back, and had a physician treat me through this illness. As I lay in bed, too sick to be up, the remembrance of the kindness shown me at the Christian Science Reading Room was such a cheer to me that I decided to investigate the subject as soon as I was able to leave my room. Accordingly I went to the Reading Room, and while there I read a publication containing some court testimony relative to Christian Science and the sworn statements of some local business men on its benefits and reliability, among which was one by an official of our company. This helped to reassure me, and I went to see him, with the result that I returned to where I was staying, consulted with a Christian Science practitioner and took a treatment the same day. My recovery was slow, but each day brought its added strength with the accompanying happiness and joy consequent upon returning health; and they were days of thankfulness to me, for in less than four months from the time I took my first treatment I returned to work. This was two years ago and I have since been working steadily, a well man, and continue to grow in strength, feeling thankful that there is in this day the means at hand for the destruction of every form of sickness and sin through the gospel of Christian Science.

W. F. D. MERCER, Portland, Ore.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
I gladly give an account of my healing in Christian Science,...
February 2, 1907

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.