About two years ago I changed my residence, and went...

About two years ago I changed my residence, and went to live with some people who were interested in Christian Science. They talked to me about it, but at first I thought it only a religious fad. Ultimately they lent me a copy of "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures" by Mrs. Eddy, which I read occasionally, and soon became convinced of the truth. I had suffered all my life from a complication of complaints. My father passed away suddenly over three years ago, and two of his brothers had likewise been taken without warning, said to be due to heart failure. Over two years ago my mother, after three days' illness, died from acute lung trouble and heart failure, and three months later I lost a brother with even more terrible suddenness, also from heart disease.

Three years ago, while under medical treatment for several complaints, and apparently receiving no benefit, I was advised by a friend to consult a specialist, and did so. The specialist operated on my throat and told me I had goître, and that it was an inherited complaint. He also told me not to hurry, and to get all the fresh air I could, as both my heart and lungs were affected. He said the business in which I was engaged was very bad for me, owing to the dust and close air of the factory. Later on I told my doctor I was worried about my neck, and his answer was: "Never mind about your neck, it is your chest that worries me." He also said my heart was about as bad as it could be.

Over a year ago I was feeling very depressed and altogether ill, and I decided to ask help from a Christian Science practitioner. As a result of the treatment gout, from which I was suffering, went almost at once, the goître gradually left me, and my breathing became normal. Later I had a bad attack of cold. I went to business in the morning, but had to return home during the afternoon. My practitioner called in the evening, and after one treatment the cold practically left me, so that I was able to go to business next morning, though my throat was very painful; but during the day I felt the abscess go instantaneously. After that when asked by the practitioner how my heart was getting on, I could only reply that I did not know I had one. I was examined by a medical man, and he assured me that I was every whit sound and in splendid condition.

Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.

Testimony of Healing
For three years I was ill with kidney disease in a very...
September 16, 1911

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.