Are you sure?
This bookmark will be removed from all folders and any saved notes will be permanently removed.
Safe from harm
Being afraid of spiders is a pretty common fear, but even scarier for me was waking up with a spider bite. This happened one morning when I woke up in my dorm room just like any other day. However, this time I woke up with a suspicious bite—though I didn’t know that at first.
It was pretty early in the morning, and I was just preparing to do my workout. However, when I stepped out of bed, I felt this pain I couldn’t identify. Since it didn’t seem to come from anywhere, I went to the gym anyway and got my workout done. When I came back from the gym, however, it was light enough that I saw the bite for the first time.
I was scared, and it got to the point where the bite was all I could think about. I went through the school day as I normally do, but the pain grew increasingly worse. At one point, some of my friends noticed that my leg was swollen and red. They began to talk about it. They were convinced that I needed to get the venom out.
Enjoy 1 free Sentinel article or audio program each month, including content from 1898 to today.