A Nurse's Experiences

Words are inadequate to express my appreciation for what understanding I have of the truth as demonstrated in Christian Science, especially during the time of the recent epidemic of hypnotic fear which swept our country from ocean to ocean. During three weeks of that time I was in bed only three nights and helped to care for twenty-four persons who asked and received help through Christian Science. The healings were complete, without the after effects of dizziness, weakness, or lassitude, or even any sense of food disagreeing with the patients. I am a trained, experienced nurse, and have been working in a small town in Nebraska in that capacity for the past five years.

A call came from a place thirty-two miles away, where a family of five were living in a box car beside the railroad track—three children, father, and mother, and previous to my going, three doctors had been in attendance whose diagnosis had been pneumonia, the so-called "flu" with complications. There was said to be only a slight hope of recovery for the man, while the seventeen-months-old baby had convulsions Saturday morning and lay in a stupor all day. I reached them Saturday at midnight. Sunday morning the baby had another attack, and to all appearance had passed on. During the night I had continually declared that God is our Life; and declared it then over and over. How long a time elapsed before the little fellow opened his eyes, I know not; but soon after he sat up. That evening he sat at the table and ate his supper with the rest of the family. At noon the man arose, dressed, and ate luncheon with his wife and two little girls, one of whom had lain unconscious most of the night from the effects of the drugs which had been given by the doctors. Toward morning the other child said, "I am all right."

I left on the evening train, and the man resumed his employment by the middle of the week. A telephone call came from the Reservation; a woman was said to be dying from pneumonia; would I come? I said I would if I could get an automobile to take me, but I could only stay two or three hours. They said I should come if only for an hour. Their words were, "We don't wish to be alone when she dies." I begged a man who keeps a livery stable to take me (this is only a village of perhaps four hundred people). He claimed that he could not get anyone to stay at the barn; so I tried several others, but was refused. I went back to the first stable and the man said, "Get a man to stay here and I will take you." This I did, but he would not go even then—the fear was so great. Just then a motor truck drove up, and when I told the men the circumstances, they said, "If you can ride on the truck we will be glad to take you." I went, and the trip was made in one hour and thirty minutes, a distance of twenty-one miles, fourteen of which was through the sand hills.

In the same house I found two others overwhelmed with fear, and ill. They would not go to bed for fear they could not get up again. I talked with them a while; they grew quieter and asked if they could have something to eat. When the assurance was given that they could, they ate, retired, slept quietly all night, and in the morning attended to their work. The woman was apparently suffering from pneumonia and pleurisy, but at four in the morning all pain left her, and I returned home. One woman had hemorrhage from the lungs all night. A doctor had taken her temperature, but she refused to take medicine, and by five in the morning she slept quietly. There was no more bleeding, and she was up and dressed the third day. The daughter, who had been in bed four days, got up, dressed, ate breakfast, and stayed up.

A man whom I was called to see was said to have pneumonia. His wife was in another bed with influenza, so called, and during the night a man called, to ask me to come over to the Hall and help to prepare a body for burial as no one would do it, there being so much fear. The casket did not arrive, however, until Sunday morning, and by that time the patients with whom I was waiting, both man and wife, were so far recovered that I went home, knowing all was well. At ten I went to the Hall to comply with the request of the previous night but not a man could I get to help.

Just then I was asked to take care of another such case. I then went out on the street to find some one who was not afraid, and another proof was given me that man's extremity is God's opportunity. I met a young man who asked my name. He said that the superintendent of the potash plant had sent him to tell me that if it meant the shutting down of the plant in order to help me, they were with me to a man. The young man added, "I have been studying Christian Science for six years; what can I do to help?" I said, "Send me a man who is not afraid," and he did. These people had been here since June, but I had not heard of them. I have been here nearly five years alone, the nearest Christian Science church being seventy-five miles distant. Can anyone imagine how I rejoiced, and with what gratitude I performed the service asked for?

That afternoon some one rushed in and said that the man I had left in the morning was dying. In a few moments I was at his bedside, and as the house was full of people I closed the bedroom door and was alone with the man. The conditions were to mortal sense very alarming, but I declared aloud that God is man's Life, over and over, until the man was quiet. Some one then said that a doctor was there, and I asked the man if he wished to see the doctor. He said, "No, no; go to my wife." When I entered the other room a lady stood there. She asked if I was a Christian Scientist. I replied that I was studying. She said that she, too, was studying. The next forenoon the man got up, dressed and ate, but as the house was quarantined that day, he did not get out for a week.

One morning a little girl of five came to the door and said, "I am so sick; can't you do something for me?" I took her in my arms and declared the allness of God, good, until she fell asleep. I laid her on the couch, and she stayed all day. In the evening she said she was hungry, and added that she was going home to get her supper for she was all right now. The next morning a little sister who could not talk came, and laid her head against me, as much as to say, "I am sick, can you do anything for me?" I took her up in my lap and again declared the truth. She slept for an hour, got up and went home healed. Three other children and the mother were healed also.

I am most grateful at this time for the privilege of class instruction; also for being accepted as a member in The Mother Church. This healing truth is surely wonderful.

Christian Science Church Services
February 15, 1919

We'd love to hear from you!

Easily submit your testimonies, articles, and poems online.