Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to header Skip to footer

Following a serious automobile...

From the October 30, 1954 issue of the Christian Science Sentinel

Following a serious automobile accident in a national forest, I found myself completely helpless and with a sense of extreme pain in my spine and ribs. Christian Science help was asked for, and I was taken in an ambulance to a hotel some forty miles away, where I hoped to stay. There was no room for me at the hotel, however, and it was necessary to ask the hospital authorities in that town to accommodate me. My refusal of medical diagnosis or treatment on the ground that I was a Christian Scientist was fully respected, and yet I was lovingly cared for.

Resisting all temptation to think about the accident, I clung to my indestructible relationship with God. Fighting off all thought of passing on, of being a cripple, or of a prolonged recovery, I held to the fact that "with God all things are possible" (Mark 10:27). Precious hours that night were spent in contemplating Mrs. Eddy's words in Science and Health (pp. 470, 471), "The relations of God and man, divine Principle and idea, are indestructible in Science; and Science knows no lapse from nor return to harmony, but holds the divine order or spiritual law, in which God and all that He creates are perfect and eternal, to have remained unchanged in its eternal history." I saw clearly that there could not possibly be any lapse from harmony, since God, divine Principle, embraces His eternal creation.

While alone in my small room I realized that there was not a single human thing that could help me. Any amount of money in a bank and all the human love of family and friends could not heal the intense pain in my back. All that was real, all that mattered, was my understanding of God and of man's indestructible relationship to Him. I understood better than ever before the significance of Jesus' three days in the sepulcher. He had been alone with God, working out his salvation in the consciousness of his true being, and he proved for our example the powerlessness of matter to interfere with his spiritual identity.

In the morning most of the pain had gone. Although I was still unable to lift myself or to be lifted, I was sure that the healing would be manifested. In three days I was able to get out of bed, dress, walk down a flight of stairs, and leave the hospital. Four days later I made the twelve-hour journey home, including a trip of fifteen hundred miles by air. The healing was gradually completed.

I shall always be grateful for the love and clear understanding of the practitioner, for the kindness of the Christian Scientists in that community who called on me, and for the consideration shown me by those about me. I thank God for our Way-shower, Christ Jesus, and for our Leader, Mrs. Eddy.—

Access more great content like this

Welcome to JSH-Online, the home of the digital editions of The Christian Science Journal, Sentinel, and Herald. We hope you enjoy the content that has been shared with you. To learn more about JSH-Online visit our Learn More page or Subscribe to receive full access to the entire archive of these periodicals, and to new text and audio content added daily.

Subscribe Today

More in this issue / October 30, 1954


Explore Concord — see where it takes you.

Search the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures